Let’s face it. Boujee toasts are so in right now. But, this isn’t your typical smashed avocado toast recipe. We’re taking things to another level with our savoury mushroom hummus toast.
This Probably Costs $20 on a Menu Somewhere
With the huge amounts of sweet breakfast ideas out there, the savoury ones are sometimes forgotten about. Because remember, there are serious risks to going savoury.
What happens if you don’t like it, and now you’ve missed out on those banana waffles or chocolate chip pancakes you knew would be delicious. We totally get it.
But, we are here to save your day with this mushroom hummus toast. It’s quick, hearty, and full of awesome flavor. We promise you’ll have no regrets.
Key Ingredients for Mushroom Hummus Toast
It’s fairly obvious what goes in this recipe from the title, so we have just a few notes on the main ingredients:
- Mushrooms: these lend a savoury flavor and meaty texture, which makes the meal feel more complete. There are currently over 10,000 types of mushrooms, so you’d probably never run out of variations. Not sure how many of those are poisonous though, so we went with brown from Costco to be safe.
- Bread: the type of bread you choose will literally make or break a boujee toast recipe. Do not use flimsy toast. You will regret it. In all seriousness though, sourdough is the best. It’s a source of prebiotics, which help feed the good bacteria in your gut. We actually heard “the more sour the dough, the more boujee the toast.”
- Hummus: there’s nothing quite like a 1-inch thick smear of hummus all over that sourdough to put you in a better mood. If it fits on the tablespoon, it only counts as one tablespoon, right? We like to use our creamy Moroccan hummus because it’s our favorite recipe in the world.
How to Make Mushroom Hummus Toast
It all starts with sautéing up some mushroom slices in a little oil and liquid aminos. Add in some herbs to make your kitchen smell like Thanksgiving dinner.
Cut a few extra thick slices of bread to toast, then give them a hummus bath and layer on the mushrooms.
We like to add some microgreens on top since they’re packed with nutrients, but feel free to add whatever else you like!
Eat your toast immediately because it’s best served warm.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You’ll enjoy this mushroom hummus toast recipe morning, noon, or night. It’s:
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment, rate it, and tag us on Instagram with #brokebankvegan. Happy eating!
If You Like This, You Might Also Enjoy
1 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories321
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.6g 3%
- Sodium 400mg 17%
- Potassium 171mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.6g 19%
- Sugars 4.2g
- Protein 10.4g 21%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.