Prepare yourself to be transported to a beach surrounded by turquoise waters with a tropical dessert in hand. This piña colada nice cream will surely satisfy your sweet tooth morning, noon, and night!
If You Like Piña Coladas
If you’ve ever been on vacation in the tropics, you’ve probably cooled down with a piña colada at some point. If that sounds familiar, we’re sure just reading the title of this post gets you excited.
For those of you that haven’t, fasten your seatbelts because we’re about to change your life for the better.
We’re two people that definitely enjoy an ice cold piña colada at any time of the day. There’s something about creamy coconut milk mixed with the sweet, tangy flavor of pineapple that makes this pairing perfect for each other.
We wanted to create a piña colada dessert that will live in your freezer. We love making frozen treats to have on hand, especially for hot, sunny days. If you have healthier treats prepared ahead of time, it makes it easier to choose them over highly processed options.
You can never go wrong with nice cream. Frozen, creamy, dairy-free, and way cheaper than the store-bought stuff. Plus, with only 4 ingredients and a few minutes of prep, you’ll be enjoying this in no time!
We know once you try our piña colada nice cream, you’ll quickly become hooked. It’s time to make a bowl of this, kick back, and escape to a tropical destination in your own home!
Key Ingredients for Piña Colada Nice Cream
- Banana: the key to any nice cream is extra ripe frozen bananas. You know those dark spotted bananas most people want to throw away? Those are the ones we’re talking about! So, if you ever forget about your bananas and they start getting dark spots, peel ’em and throw ’em in the freezer. The riper the banana, the sweeter they’ll be, which is what makes them so dangerous in this recipe. Plus, did you know bananas have a ton of health benefits other than containing potassium? You’ll also receive about 10% of your daily fiber needs in a single banana!
- Coconut milk: if the bananas didn’t make this recipe creamy enough, adding coconut milk will do the trick. The higher fat percentage of canned coconut milk makes this recipe a similar consistency to dairy-based ice cream. We also toast coconut shreds to give this recipe an extra nutty flavor. And if you need even more reasons to add coconut to your foods, just one cup will give you 110% of your daily manganese needs, which is an essential nutrient that aids in normal brain functioning.
- Pineapple: naturally sweet, exceptionally good, and so addicting. Pineapple is one of those fruits you can eat until there’s none left! Adding it to this recipe gives the nice cream a little tanginess to tame down the rich flavor of the coconut milk and bananas. Not only does a serving of pineapple provide 110% of your vitamin C needs, but it also has special digestive enzymes that help with break down protein into a more usable form. We love pineapple!
How to Make Piña Colada Nice Cream
Nice cream is so quick and easy to make, there’s no reason you shouldn’t try this recipe out. All you have to do is freeze some bananas and pineapple chunks. When they are solid enough, blend both fruits together with coconut milk and a little maple syrup.
We find a food processor actually works best for making nice cream, but high-speed blenders work well too! Once all 4 ingredients are in your food processor or blender, mix on medium-high until you have a smooth, soft-serve consistency (see photo below).
You may have to stop and scrape down the sides as you go.
After you have a creamy consistency, transfer it to a freezer safe pan. We usually use a loaf pan since it’s the perfect size and works well in the freezer. Cover the pan, then set nice cream in the freezer for about 1-2 hours before eating it.
If you like a softer consistency, or you’re impatient for a snack, you can also eat it as soon as you’ve blended it!
We think this dessert tastes best with some toasted coconut shreds on top. To prepare these, spread the coconut shreds out on a baking sheet and toast them on 200 degrees F for 6-8 minutes, or until they are starting to turn a golden brown.
Just make sure you don’t walk away though because these go from raw to burnt real quick!
How to Store Piña Colada Nice Cream
This recipe will store in the freezer for up to 8-10 days in an airtight container. Although, it is best when eaten the same day.
To serve, remove container from the freezer about 10 minutes before you’d like to eat it.
Why You’ll Love This Piña Colada Nice Cream
It’s time to sit back, chillax, and send your tastebuds to a secluded island getaway with this dessert. It’s:
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment, rate it, and tag us on Instagram with #brokebankvegan. Happy eating!
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy
6 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories156
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 3.8g 6%
- Saturated Fat 3.2g 16%
- Sodium 4.4mg 1%
- Potassium 375.3mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate 32.4g 11%
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g 11%
- Sugars 23g
- Protein 1.3g 3%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Do I have wait for it to freeze?
No! You can eat it right away to enjoy a texture more similar to soft serve ice cream.
Do I have to use maple syrup?
Maple syrup isn’t necessary in this recipe. We just like to add a little more sweetness to make it even better. But, if you don’t have maple syrup, you can also use other sweeteners like agave or simple syrup.
Do I have to use canned coconut milk?
You don’t have to use canned coconut, but it creates a creamier texture. Feel free to use coconut milk from the carton, but remember your results will vary.