This tomato consomé is packed to the brim with flavor. Perfectly spiced with chiles and made with "no chicken" bouillon, it's delicious as a soup base, taco dip, and more!
Fine mesh strainer
Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a baking pan with foil. Spread the tomatoes, onions, and unpeeled garlic out evenly on the pan and roast for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Add the roasted tomatoes, onions, peeled garlic, chipotle in adobo, and 1 cup of broth to a blender. Mix on high until smooth.
Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium. Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain the mixture into the pot and season for 5-6 minutes.
Add the rest of the broth and cilantro sprigs. Bring to a light boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for 15 minutes to deepen the flavors. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Fill your consomé with vegetables to make sopa de verduras, noodles for sopa de fideo or sopa de conchas, or use as a dipping sauce for tacos, etc. Happy eating!
- Use fresh vegetables: Using fresh vegetables will yield the best-tasting recipe. Avoid anything frozen whenever possible.
- Make a double batch: Make extra consomé to save for days when you don’t have time to cook a long meal. Simply heat it with extra noodles or vegetables, and dinner is ready!
- Strain the mixture: For an extra smooth consistency, strain the vegetable mixture into the stockpot after blending it.
- Season the salsa: To deepen the flavors of this consomé, don’t skip simmering the salsa in olive oil before adding the rest of the broth.
- Use Better Than Bouillon: Using the Better Than Bouillon “no chicken” base is a quick way to add depth without using meat-based ingredients.
- Nutritional information is a rough estimate and should not be taken as health advice.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 32kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0.5g | Fat: 1.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 660.5mg | Potassium: 94.5mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 2.8g | Vitamin A: 717.3IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 7.6mg | Iron: 0.2mg