This tomato consomé is packed to the brim with flavor. Perfectly spiced with chiles and made with "no chicken" bouillon, this recipe is delicious as a soup base, taco dip, and much more.
Fine mesh strainer
Preheat your oven to 450°F, and line a baking pan with foil. Spread the tomatoes, onions, and unpeeled garlic out evenly on the pan and roast for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Add the roasted tomatoes, onions, peeled garlic, chipotle in adobo, and 1 cup of broth to a blender. Mix on high until smooth.
Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium. Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain the mixture into the pot and season for 5-6 minutes.
Add the rest of the broth and cilantro sprigs. Bring to a light boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for 15 minutes to deepen the flavors. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Fill your consomé with vegetables to make sopa de verduras, noodles for sopa de fideo or sopa de conchas, or use as a dipping sauce for tacos, etc. Happy eating!
- Use fresh vegetables — Using fresh vegetables will yield the best-tasting recipe. Avoid anything frozen whenever possible.
- Make a double batch — Make extra consomé to save for days when you don't have time to cook a long meal. Simply heat it with extra noodles or vegetables, and dinner is ready!
- Strain the mixture — For an extra smooth consistency, strain the vegetable mixture after you blend it.
- Season the salsa — To deepen the flavors of this consomé, don't skip simmering the salsa in olive oil before adding the rest of the broth.
- If you don’t have access to Better Than Bouillon “no chicken” base, replace it with vegetable broth.
- We calculate nutritional information for our recipes with Cronometer.
- Recipe cost calculations are based on ingredients local to us and may vary from recipe to recipe. All prices are in USD.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 32kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0.5g | Fat: 1.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 660.5mg | Potassium: 94.5mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 2.8g | Vitamin A: 717.3IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 7.6mg | Iron: 0.2mg