Easy Agua de Jamaica
Agua de Jamaica is a tart, sweet, and refreshing Mexican agua fresca! Also known as hibiscus iced tea, it's made with just 2 ingredients!
To a large pot, add the water, flor de Jamaica, and any add-ins of your choosing. Bring everything to a low boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, shut the heat off, stir in the sugar, then allow the mixture to cool. The concentrate is ready when the flowers sink to the bottom.
Once steeped, pour the concentrate through a mesh strainer into a large mason jar or pitcher. Add another 3-4 cups of water into the jar (or to taste) and stir well.
Serve your agua de Jamaica in a glass full of ice. Squeeze a wedge of lime or an orange over top and enjoy immediately. Happy drinking!
- Let the flowers sink: You'll know the tea is done steeping when the hibiscus flowers sink to the bottom of the pot.
- Add sugar at the start: To better dissolve the cane sugar, add it to the pot while the water is still hot.
- Save the flowers: Make flor de Jamaica tacos, quesadillas, or enchiladas with the steeped flowers. They make a great meat replacement!
- Let it cool: Although it may be tempting, agua de Jamaica is best-served ice cold!
- Nutritional information is a rough estimate and should not be taken as health advice.
- Recipe cost calculations are based on prices found in the top 5 U.S. grocery chains. As such, prices may vary based on your location. All prices are in USD.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.8g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 8.5mg | Potassium: 25.6mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 16.7g | Vitamin A: 27.5IU | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.1mg