Tacos Al Pastor Recipe
$3.55 recipe | $0.20 serving
A traditional tacos al pastor recipe made with guajillo chiles, achiote and, fresh pineapple. This dish is vegan and gluten-free. Sweet, spicy, and made to taste just like it does in Mexico!
To start your marinade, remove the stem and seeds from the chiles. Then, toast them in a skillet over medium-low for 3-5 minutes. Make sure to turn your chiles frequently to prevent burning.
Next, cover them with water and bring to a low boil. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat to simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until the peppers are softened.
Once the chiles are ready, add them to a blender with the pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, onion, cumin, Mexican oregano, cloves, achiote paste, and salt. Blend until smooth.
Next, transfer your re-hydrated TVP to a strainer to get rid of the excess water (make sure to squeeze it out thoroughly!). Add the TVP to a large container or freezer bag with the marinade over top.
Stir the mixture quite well to ensure the TVP evenly soaks in the marinade. Cover and transfer to your fridge to marinate for at least 2-4 hours, but preferably overnight.
When you're ready to eat, drain the excess marinade off the TVP and preheat 1-2 tbsp of neutral oil in a large skillet over medium. Add in the TVP and fry, stirring occasionally until it's hot and appears slightly matte.
Note: you will have to use two large skillets or cook two batches for this amount of TVP.
Serve immediately on homemade corn tortillas with diced white onion, fresh pineapple chunks, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, and some salsa!
- If you aren't able to find achiote paste or powder, use paprika as a substitute.
- Making your own pineapple juice tastes best! We usually blend up fresh pineapple chunks to use in our marinade.
- We don't find it necessary to drain the pineapple juice from the pulp. That's where all the fiber is, plus it's more cost-effective!
- If you can't find Mexican oregano, the closest sub is marjoram.
- Optional ingredients are not reflected in the price or calories of our recipes.
- We calculate nutritional information for our recipes with Cronometer.
- Recipe cost calculations are based on ingredients local to us and may vary from recipe-to-recipe.
- All prices are in USD.
Tacos Al Pastor Recipe
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.