Vegan Horchata Recipe
$1.86 recipe | $0.23 serving
Learn how to make a dairy-free horchata recipe that's sweet and infused with spice. This authentic Mexican drink is made with simple ingredients like rice, almond milk, and cinnamon that will keep you coming back for more!
First, wash and drain your rice. Add it to a large bowl with the cinnamon sticks and 4 cups of boiling water. Let the water cool to room temperature, then cover the bowl and let it rest for at least 5-6 hours, but preferably overnight.
Add your almond milk and cane sugar to a small saucepan. Bring it to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by about half. Let it cool, then cover and store it in your fridge until you are ready to use it.
Blend & Strain
When the rice is ready, remove both cinnamon sticks. Add the rice and water to your blender and mix on medium until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. You may have to blend in 2 separate batches depending on the size of your blender.
Note: you can blend the whole cinnamon sticks with the rice and strain the pieces out, add in ½ tsp of powdered cinnamon, or leave both out. It all depends on your personal preference!
Once smooth, pour the rice mixture in batches through a very fine mesh strainer, cheesecloth, or nut milk bag into a large bowl. Squeeze or press down with a spoon to pass as much liquid through as you can.
Pour it through the strainer or cheesecloth at least once or twice more (to catch any extra grainy bits). Continue this process until all the rice water has been transferred to your bowl.
Mix in the rest of the water, reduced almond milk, and vanilla. Taste and adjust the sweetener if you want. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add in more water. If you prefer it creamier, add in fresh almond milk.
Transfer to a large jar or pitcher for storage. Serve your horchata chilled on ice with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Enjoy!
- The sweetness level is very personal. If you prefer no sugar, try replacing it with stevia or leaving it out altogether.
- We recommend prepping the almond milk reduction the night before to let it cool and thicken in your fridge overnight.
- Optional ingredients are not reflected in the price or calories of our recipes.
- We calculate nutritional information for our recipes with Cronometer.
- Recipe cost calculations are based on ingredients local to us and may vary from recipe-to-recipe.
- All prices are in USD.
Vegan Horchata Recipe
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.