Agua de Tamarindo
$1.60 recipe | $0.18 serving
Made with just tamarind, sweetener, and water, this agua fresca is tart, sweet, and refreshing all at the same time. Make this drink for you and your family to understand just how delicious it is!
First, prepare the tamarind pods by removing the outer shell and as many of the fibrous strings as you can manage (it's easiest to pull them from one end downwards along the length of the pod).
Then, bring 4 cups of water to boil in a large pot. Once boiling, add in the peeled tamarind. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off, then let the water cool to room temperature, about 60-90 minutes.
Once the water has cooled, separate the sticky paste from the seeds in the pot. Discard the hard seeds and any more strings.
Add the tamarind paste and cooking water to your blender with ½ cup grated piloncillo (or brown sugar). Blend on high until smooth, then taste and add the rest of the sweetener if you think it needs it.
Pour the tamarind mixture through a mesh strainer into a pitcher or large mason jar. Mix in the rest of the water to preference, then let your agua fresca chill for a few hours or serve immediately over ice with a lime wedge. Happy eating!
- Start with less sweetener and adjust to your preferences.
- If you don't have piloncillo, substitute with equal parts brown sugar and 1 tbsp molasses.
- Optional ingredients are not reflected in the price or calories of our recipes.
- We calculate nutritional information for our recipes with Cronometer.
- Recipe cost calculations are based on ingredients local to us and may vary from recipe-to-recipe.
- All prices are in USD.
Agua de Tamarindo
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.