What takes 5 minutes to make, requires only a blender, and tastes like the real thing? This vegan parmesan cheese!
We have a feeling you're going to quickly become addicted to this recipe, just like us. This is your one and only warning.
Easy, Breezy, & Super Cheesy
We are by no means the first people to create a cashew parmesan, but we definitely won't be the last to enjoy it. This simple recipe has been a staple in our house since as long as we've been vegan.
We've perfected our recipe over the years, and we want to share it with as many people as possible. We like this parmesan so much because of how well it stores in the fridge and freezer. It's great to make a huge batch to keep on hand.
It's the perfect topping for pizzas, pasta, salads, or soups. We even find ourselves just eating it by the spoonful.
We know cheese is a hard item for a lot of people to give up when going vegan, so we hope to make it a little easier by showing you how easy and delicious dairy-free cheese can be!
Key Ingredients for Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Nutritional Yeast: if you want to end up with a "cheesy" parmesan, you better put some nutritional yeast in it. This wonder ingredient is a staple for vegans because of how versatile it can be. It lends a cheesy, nutty, and savoury flavor, which is essential in this recipe. And you'll be doing your body some good by eating it since it's a complete protein (which means it contains all nine essential amino acids).
- Garlic: maybe it's just us, but adding garlic to any food makes it taste so much better (okay, maybe not your smoothie bowl, but you get our point). Although we generally opt for fresh, we use garlic powder in this recipe to keep it from becoming too moist.
- Cashews: this is the perfect nut to use in a vegan parmesan because cashews are slightly soft with a hint of sweetness. They give it the perfect crumbly texture without being too crunchy. Plus, they are full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help reduce your LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff).
- Sea salt: what would parmesan be without lots of saltiness? Not parmesan, that's what! Sea salt gives the perfect savoury flavor to create the most parmesan-like cheese possible.
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This recipe is quite straight forward. All you'll need to do is add the ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor.
Pulse everything for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until you achieve a meal-like consistency (as shown below).
Taste and adjust the salt and garlic powder to your liking, and that's it! Transfer the parmesan into a mason jar or container for storing.
How to Store Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This parmesan stores well in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Alternatively, you can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Why You'll Love This Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This recipe will quickly become your secret weapon to sprinkle on all your favorite foods. It's:
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment, rate it, and tag us on Instagram with #brokebankvegan. Happy eating!
Other Recipes You'll Enjoy
32 servings per container
Serving Size1 servings
- Amount Per ServingCalories34
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 3mg 1%
- Potassium 1mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 1g 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
What can I use instead of cashews?
Instead of cashews, you can try using sunflower seeds or macadamia nuts with varied results.
Can I use fresh garlic instead of powdered?
You can try using fresh garlic instead of powdered, although we haven't made this recipe with it, so we can't speak to how long it will last.
Do I have to use raw cashews?
No, you do not have to use raw cashews. You can use roasted cashews, but raw tastes best in this recipe.